How To Use A Dab Rig: A Step By Step Guide
Learning how to use a dab rig is a very easy process and once you learn you are going to enjoy dabbing that much more. Assuming you already have your dab rig picked out and fitted with the correct dab nail follow these quick easy steps to learn how to hit a dab rig.
What is a dab rig?
A dab rig is a type of water pipe that is used for dabbing concentrates, oils, shatter, and rosins. We call it "dabbing" because you "dab" your concentrates onto the dab nail. Similar to a bong, they are typically glass water pipes and are perfect for stronger hits.
Not sure what the difference between a bong or dab rig is? Read our guide on Dab Rigs vs Bongs and learn for yourself.
Dab Rigs have grown in popularity recently due to the explosion of concentrates hitting the market. Technically, you can use any water pipe for dabbing, but to get the most from concentrates it's important to use the right dab rig for the job. Here at Toker Supply we love Dab Rigs and after reading this in depth guide you will find the perfect dab rig for yourself! Using the right dabbing setup will allow you to get the most from your concentrates.
How To Use A Dab Rig In 5 Steps
- Add the proper amount of water to your dab rig. If you're not sure of how much water to add our dab rig water level guide will help you out! Basically you want to add enough water to cover the perc in your dab rig.
- Torch your dab nail until its glowing red. Be sure to more the torch around the entire nail top, bottom and sides to ensure you are heating it evenly.
- Wait about 30 seconds to let the nail cool down to the ideal temperature. If you prefer high temp dabs you can wait less or if you prefer low temp dabs you can wait longer. Dabbing when your nail is too hot however will just waste your wax.
- Drop the wax into the heated dab nail with your dabber tool and inhale through the mouthpiece like you would with any normal bong.
- Cover the dab nail with the carb cap to restrict airflow and inhale until all your concentrates are vaporized.
That's it! That is how to use a dab rig in 5 easy steps. Oh and before we forget make sure you clean any excess oil or residue from your nail after each use, this helps keep your nail fresh and lasting longer.
The benefits of using a Dab Rig:
- Produces vapor instead of smoke that can contain harmful carcinogens
- Even the smallest dab rigs produce maximum vapor
- The best flavor from your concentrates
- Better tasting vapor with almost odor free smoke
For beginners, the differences between using a dab rig and a regular water pipe might not be apparent. But, a dedicated piece that’s only used to smoke concentrates carries a range of benefits. Primarily, the flavor produced from wax and traditional herbs varies a lot. Both can taste great, but mixing these two tastes in the same piece can be a bad experience. If you’re already purchasing great concentrates, you’ll want to maximize their value with a dabbing-only piece!
Similarly, a huge benefit is that you will have an efficient smoke of your concentrate. Using a dab rig will ensure the flavor is maintained and the temperature control will provide a better smoking experience.
What you need for a dab rig setup
- Dab Rig - Obvious answer but you are going to want to get a dab rig that is only dedicated to using with concentrates. We do not reccomend using the same dab rig for flowers and oils.
- Dab Nail - As any experienced dabber will tell you, dab nails go hand in hand with dab rigs in the dabbing process. The right dab nail will go a long way in improving the flavor of your dabs. The dab nail is the place where you “dab” your waxes and concentrates, and where it will be vaporized so you can inhale through your new dab rig.
- Carb Cap - A carb cap is essential to ensuring you get the most from your concentrates for the best flavor and potency.
- Dab Tool - A dabber tool is used to safely place your oils or wax into your heated dab nail so you don't risk burning your self.
- Dab Torch - Using the right torch is crucial to ensuring you heat your dab nail to the proper temperature.
What to look for when buying a dab rig:
If you’re going to make the plunge and purchase a dab rig, you’ll want to make sure you’re buying a piece that is worthwhile. After all, you’ll be dabbing like a pro in almost no time -- and you need a piece that reflects that.
- A piece the right size to fit comfortable in one hand, and if you prefer small enough to travel with.
- Is it durable and thick enough to upgrade with accessories so you will have it for years to come?
- Is the dab rig coming from a legitimate and reputable online headshop that has received positive reviews? It’s important to consider both the quality of the product and the responsiveness of customer service.
- Does it fit your style and preferences? Do you like the colors, style, shape? Is it nice enough to be a table piece?
- Does it come with a dab nail? If not any good headshop will offer a cheap dab nail along with the purchase.
For some smokers, spending a few extra bucks now can pay off in droves down the line. But, it’s more than possible to dab on a budget with a highly affordable piece, and dabbing accessories.
Before we really jump into choosing the best dab rig, it's also important to know everything about dab nails because the two go hand in hand in producing the best vapor from your concentrates. The dab nail is the actual place where you "dab" your waxy oils and where it will be vaporized so you can inhale it through your new dab rig.
What to look for when buying a dab nail:
Dab nails come in a wide variety of styles, sizes and shapes so be sure to get one that fits your style.
Not sure what nail is best for you? Read our guide on choosing the best nail for dabbing understand what nails are best and how to use them.
With dab rigs, Size does matter..
Technically, any water pipe can be used for dry herbs or concentrates. However to truly appreciate and get the most from your concentrates its important to use the correct type of dab rig. When dabbing concentrates, you are literally dabbing a small "dab" of material so typically dab rigs are much smaller than traditional bongs meant for smoking dry herbs.
Typically, bongs made for dry herbs are larger and usually contain more percolators to filter out the harsh smoke and debris you get from combusting flower. However with a dab rig, no combustion takes place since concentrates are already processed and contain no flower. This means you don't need the extra size and percolators to filter the smoke since its only vapor.
Our most best selling dab rigs are usually mini rigs, micro rigs and recyclers.
Final Thoughts from Toker Supply
Ultimately, dabbing is massively popular because of the ease, convenience and variety that comes with it. Here at Toker Supply, we offer an incomparable selection of dabbing necessities - including dab rigs, nails, tools and more.