Dabs are concentrated doses of different plants or herbs that are made by extracting the chemical compounds using solvents like butane, CO2 or ice, which produces a sticky oil commonly called, wax, shatter, or budder. This gives the user a concentrated does of the medical compounds for faster effectiveness.
The biggest medical advantage of concentrates is the quick and powerful dose of medicine they give. This is especially useful for patients with chronic pain or nausea. This allows for fast relief because the medicine is so concentrated and can be inhaled quickly unlike smoking the traditional herb or flowers.
1) A concentrated extract. Commonly used are BHO, CO2 and solventless extracts such as rosin. DO NOT dab with alcohol based extracts and if you have any doubts about the quality or method used to make your extracts do not smoke it.
2) A Dab Rig. Almost any water pipe can be used for both dry herbs and concentrates by adding the correct attachments. Make sure you know the size of your water pipe joint, if its a male joint or female joint and the size can be 10mm, 14mm, or 18mm.
3) A Nail. There are tons of different dab nails on the market such as domeless nails, quartz bangers, ceramic nails and titaniums nails. Not sure which is best for you? Check out our article on Choosing The Best Dab Nail. Just make sure that the nail you buy fits your water pipe.
4) A Torch. A small torch will typically get the job done but more seasoned smokers sometimes upgrade to larger propane torches that heat the nail faster.
5) A Dabber. A dabber can be glass, titanium, or ceramic and is simply used to place your dab on the concentrate nail.
Turn your dab torch on and point the flame directly at the nail on your dab rig but keep it about 3-5 inches away. Most people heat the nail until you start to see small red specks or glowing red if you prefer high temp dabs instead of low temp dabs.
Once you think your nail is heated enough, turn off your torch and move it out of the way. Gather your dab on your dabber tool. It is reccomened to let quartz nails cool down for about 30-45 seconds and titanium nails about 10-20 seconds. Place your dab directly on the nail and inhale!
Now just sit back and exhale and let the medicine do its job. If you are new to dabbing we suggest starting with smaller dabs and working your way up when you get more comfortable with the whole dabbing process.