Dab Rigs for Beginners
What is a dab rig?
A dab rig is a type of water pipe that is designed to be used specifically with oils or wax concentrates through the "dabbing" process. It's called dabbing because you "dab" your concentrates onto the heated dab nail. Not sure what the difference between a bong or dab rig is? Read our guide on Dab Rigs vs Bongs and learn what the differrence is.
Dab Rigs have grown in popularity in recent months due to the explosion of concentrates hitting the market. Technically you can use any water pipe for dabbing, but to get the most from your concentrates its important to use the right dab rig for the job. Here at Toker Supply we love Dab Rigs and after reading this in depth guide you will find the perfect dab rig for yourself! Using the right dabbing setup will allow you to get the most from your concentrates.
The benefits of using a Dab Rig:
- Produces vapor instead of smoke that can contain harmful carcinogens
- Even the smallest dab rigs produce maximum vapor
- The best flavor from your concentrates
- Better tasting vapor with almost odor free smoke
For beginners, the differences between dabbing from a dab rig and a water pipe might not be apparent. But, a dedicated piece that’s only used to smoke concentrates carries a range of benefits. Primarily, the flavor produced from wax and traditional herbs varies a lot. Both can taste great, but mixing these two tastes in the same piece can be a bad experience. If you’re already purchasing great concentrates, you’ll want to maximize their value with a dabbing-only piece!
What to look for when buying a dab rig:
If you’re going to make the plunge and purchase a dab rig, you’ll want to make sure you’re buying a piece that is worthwhile. After all, you’ll be dabbing like a pro in almost no time -- and you need a piece that reflects that.
- A piece the right size to fit comfortable in one hand, and if you prefer small enough to travel with.
- Is it durable and thick enough to upgrade with accessories so you will have it for years to come?
- Is the dab rig coming from a legitimate and reputable online headshop that has received positive reviews? It’s important to consider both the quality of the product and the responsiveness of customer service.
- Does it fit your style and preferences? Do you like the colors, style, shape? Is it nice enough to be a table piece?
- Does it come with a dab nail? If not any good headshop will offer a cheap dab nail along with the purchase.
For some smokers, spending a few extra bucks now can pay off in droves down the line. But, it’s more than possible to dab on a budget with a highly affordable piece, and dabbing accessories.
Before we really jump into choosing the best dab rig, it's also important to know everything about dab nails because the two go hand in hand in producing the best vapor from your concentrates. The dab nail is the actual place where you "dab" your waxy oils and where it will be vaporized so you can inhale it through your new dab rig.
What is a Dab Nail?
As any experienced dabber will tell you, dab nails go hand in hand with dab rigs in the dabbing process. The right dab nail will go a long way in improving the flavor of your dabs. The dab nail is the place where you “dab” your waxes and concentrates, and where it will be vaporized so you can inhale through your new dab rig.
How to Use A Dab Nail:
Once you figure out how long to heat the dab nail, the process becomes fairly simple.
- Use your dab torch and point the flame at your nail until it glows slightly red hot.
- If you're using a titanium nail let is cool down for 15 seconds. Let quartz nails cool down for about 45 seconds. You can use a sand timer or the simple timer on your cell phone.
- Grab a small dab of your concentrates with a dabber tool and place it onto the heated nail.
- Inhale through your dab rig while dabbing the wax onto the nail.
- After a few seconds place your carb cap ontop of the nail to ensure all your concentrates are vaporized.
Dab nails come in a wide variety of styles, sizes and shapes so be sure to get one that fits your style.
The most popular dab nails are:
- Quartz Banger Nail - durable, amazing flavor, easy to use
- Diamond Knot Loop Quartz Banger Nail - Latest innovation, no waste, incredible flavor
- Terp Slurper Quartz Banger - Maximum flavor, for experience dabbers, hassle free design
Overall, quartz dab nails are the best option. They are inexpensive, easy to use, provide an amazing flavor, and have superb heat retention. They also limit the need to clean your dab rig.
With dab rigs, Size does matter..
There is a great debate and confusion in the industry on the difference between a dab rig vs bong. The bottom line is technically any water pipe can be used for dry herbs or concentrates. However to trully appreciate and get the most from your concentrates its important to use the correct type of dab rig. When dabbing concentrates, you are literally dabbing a small "dab" of material so typically dab rigs are much smaller than traditional bongs meant for smoking dry herbs.
Typically bongs made for dry herbs are larger and usually contain more percolators to filter out the harsh smoke and debris you get from combusting herbs. However with a dab rig, no combustion takes place since concentrates are already processed and contain no flower. This means you don't need the extra size and percolators to filter the smoke since its only vapor.
Our most best selling dab rigs are usually mini rigs, micro rigs and recyclers.
Our Best-Selling Dab Rigs
Showerhead Perc Dual Arm Recycler: $84.99
As I mentioned previously in the article recycler rigs are one of the best dab rigs you can choose. The recycler motion gives you super smooth hits with maxium flavor from your concentrates. This piece is the perfect size and features a bent neck for comfort.
The "Flavor Tube" Mini Beaker : $39.99
This mini beaker water pipe is the perfect piece for both dry herbs or concentrates. The beaker design condenses your smoke and vapor for the best flavor possible. The diffy perc provides just the right amount of diffusion and is set an an angle to prevent splash back.
Fumed Mini Rig: $74.99
This beautiful purple glass mini rig is the perfect size for flavorful dabbing sessions. Standing at 6 inches tall this rig features a two-hole perc for diffusion and a unique shaped chamber for better smoke cooling. Featuring a 14mm female banger hanger joint, this mini-rig includes a 14mm male quartz banger nail.